Heather J. Conrad DMD, MS, FACP, FRCD(C)
Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontists (Prosthodontics), 2007
Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada (Prosthodontics), 2007
Doctor of Dental Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, College of Dentistry, Saskatoon, SK, Canada (Dentistry), 1997
MS, University of Minnesota (Dentistry), 2006
Certificate in Prosthodontics, University of Minnesota, 2006
Dr. Conrad graduated from the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada, with a Doctor of Dental Medicine in 1997. While working full time in private practice, she became a Sessional Lecturer and Course Coordinator for the second year Fixed Prosthodontics class at the University of Saskatchewan. After six years, she decided to leave private practice and pursue an academic career by enrolling in post graduate studies at the University of Minnesota. She completed the Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics and Master of Science degree in 2006 and accepted an offer for tenure track Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota, School of Dentistry. She has since completed the American and Canadian specialty examinations to become a Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontists and a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. In April 2012, Dr. Conrad was appointed the Director of the Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics and promoted to Associate Professor with Tenure. Dr. Conrad is the Course Director for PROS 7200 Advanced Clinical Prosthodontics, PROS 7210 Advanced Technical Restorative Dentistry, DENT 7111 Current Literature Review Seminar, DENT 7112 Treatment Planning Seminar, and DENT 7220 Prosthetically-Driven Implant Surgery and Treatment Planning. In the School of Dentistry, she is a member of the Council of Chairs, Dean Search Committee, Advanced Education Program Directors Committee, Institutional Effectiveness Committee, and Graduate School Faculty Roster. With the American Dental Education Association, Dr. Conrad was elected to a 3-year term as an Officer for the Section on Prosthodontics, followed by a 4-year term as a Board Member with the Council of Advanced Education Programs (COAEP), and is now currently serving a 3-year term as the Board Director for COAEP. In 2018, Dr. Conrad was elected as a Director of the American Board of Prosthodontics (ABP) and now additionally serves as the Secretary for the ABP. Dr. Conrad was honored with the 2015 Educator of the Year award by the American College of Prosthodontists and she became a Fellow of the ADEA Leadership Institute in 2016. She currently serves as the Interim Chair of the Department of Restorative Sciences at the University of Minnesota.
Awards & Recognition
- Elected as Director/Examiner of the American Board of Prosthodontics - 2018
- Elected as Board Director: ADEA Council of Advanced Education Programs - 2017
- Intravenous Moderate Sedation Conference - 2016
- ADEA Leadership Institute Fellow - 2016
- American College of Prosthodontists Educator of the Year - 2015
- Elected to the Administrative Board: ADEA Council of Advanced Education Programs - 2014
- Professor of the Year - 2011
- Elected to the Council for the American Board of Prosthodontics - 2010
- Professor of the Year - 2010
- Professor of the Year - 2009
- Prosthodontic consultant for the Minnesota Board of Dentistry
- Thank a Teacher certificate sponsored by the Center for Teaching and Learning - 2007
- Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontics - 2006
- Lifetime Member of Cambridge Who's Who
- ADA National Board Dental Exam Certificate
- American College of Prosthodontists Education Foundation Scholarship - 2005
- Lifetime Member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- American College of Prosthodontists Education Foundation Scholarship 2003
- National Dental Examining Board of Canada Certificate
- Teledyne Water Pik Pursuit of Excellence Award in Fixed and Removable Prosthodontics
- Harcourt and Brace Book Award for Excellent Academic Performance
- Lutheran Life University Scholarship (x4)
- Canada Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Performance in Science and Technology
- University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association Scholarship
- St. Thomas More College Scholarship
Research Awards and Grants:
- Astra Tech AB Grant (co-investigator) - 2010
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry Research Foundation (co-investigator) - 2009
- First Place 2007 AAFP Stanley D. Tylman Research Award
- American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics Stanley D. Tylman Research Grant
Implant screw mechanics; Sinus grafting for implants; Implant impression techniques; All ceramic crown materials and properties; Virtual reality based technologies
- Chong J, Seong WJ, Conrad HJ. Lead foil technique for partially edentulous radiographic guide. J Pros Dent 2012;108:268-70.
- Conrad HJ. Advanced Prosthodontics at the School of Dentistry. Northwest Dentistry 2016;95:11-15.
- Conrad H, Buchanan J, Welk A. Advanced Simulation Clinic Orientation. MedEdPORTAL: http://services.aamc.org/mededportal/servlet/s/segment/mededportal/?subid=8235
- Conrad HJ, Holtan JR. Internalized discoloration of dentin under porcelain crowns: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 2009;101:153-7.
- Conrad HJ, Jung J, Barczak M, Basu S, Seong WJ. Retrospective cohort study of the predictors of implant failure in the posterior maxilla. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2011;26:154-62.
- Conrad HJ, Mills EA. Dental students choosing licensure path give more consideration to career flexibility rather than ethical dilemmas. J Am Coll Dent 2011;78:24-32.
- Conrad HJ, Pesun IJ, DeLong R, Hodges JS. Accuracy of two impression techniques with angulated implants. J Prosthet Dent 2007;97:349-56.
- Conrad HJ, Schulte JK, Vallee MC. Fractures related to occlusal overload with single posterior implants: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 2008;99:251-6.
- Conrad HJ, Seong WJ, Pesun IJ. Current ceramic materials and systems with clinical recommendations: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent 2007;98:389-404.
- Hinckfuss S, Conrad H, Lin L, Lunos S, Seong WJ. Effect of surgical guide design and surgeon's experience on the accuracy of implant placement. J Oral Implantol 2012;38:311-23.
- Kiangsoontra JP, Conrad HJ. Comparison of the dimensional stability of splinting material with different polymerization times. Oral Health and Dentistry 2017;1:197-209.
- Seong WJ, Barczak M, Jung J, Basu S, Olin PS, Conrad HJ. Prevalence of sinus augmentation associated with maxillary posterior implants. J Oral Implantol 2013;39:680-8.
- Seong WJ, Conrad HJ, Hinrichs JE. Potential damage to bone-implant interface when measuring initial implant stability. J Periodontol 2009;80:1868-74.
- Seong WJ, Grami S, Jeong SC, Conrad HJ, Hodges JS. Comparison of Push-In versus Pull-Out Tests on Bone-Implant Interfaces of Rabbit Tibia Dental Implant Healing Model. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2013;15:460-9.
- Seong WJ, Lee J, Delima L, Prasad HS, Conrad HJ, Tarnow D. Postmortem evaluation of mandibular implant-supported fixed complete denture after 30 years of service. J Prosthet Dent 2018; in press.
- Tiossi R, de Torres EM, Rodrigues RCS, Conrad HJ, de Mattos Mda G, Fok ASL, Ribeiro RF. Comparison of the correlation of photoelasticity and digital imaging to characterize the load transfer of implant-supported restorations. J Prosthet Dent 2014;112:276-84.
- Tiossi R, Lin L, Conrad HJ, Rodrigues RC, Heo YC, de Mattos Mda G, Fok AS, Ribeiro RF. Digital image correlation analysis on the influence of crown material in implant-supported prostheses on bone strain distribution. J Prosthodont Res 2012;56:25-31.
- Tiossi R, Lin L, Rodrigues RC, Heo YC, Conrad HJ, de Mattos Mda G, Ribeiro RF, Fok ASL. Digital image correlation analysis of the load transfer by implant-supported restorations. J Biomech 2011;44:1008-13.
- Tiossi R, Vasco MAA, Lin L, Conrad HJ, Bezzon OL, Ribeiro RF, Fok ASL. Validation of finite element models for strain analysis of implant-supported prostheses using digital image correlation. Dent Mater 2013;29:788-96.
- Vallee MC, Conrad HJ, Basu S, Seong WJ. Accuracy of friction-style and spring-style mechanical torque limiting devices for dental implants. J Prosthet Dent 2008;100:86-92.